When my then-manager gave me the opportunity to adapt his clinic’s closet of a few lab instruments into a full-service Point-of-Care Testing (POC) lab, I jumped at the chance.
I knew then that the possibilities of such a lab would be a huge help to the clinic and provide reliable on-site support for the treatment of the patients being cared for at the clinic.
We’ve seen that idea come to fruition as the CHM POC lab is a central hub of lab-related activity that in the 12 months from Aug 2016 – July 2017 resulted well over 27,000 combined CBCs and chemistry lab tests.
These test results are a key part of the ongoing treatment that is provided for our patients in the Knight Cancer Institute’s Center for Hematologic Malignancies.
I’m grateful to have this opportunity to serve our clinic and patients in this way.
Communicate test results and parse to appropriate providers, staff and patient treatment systems
• Run POC lab tests per treatment plans, result CBCs under an average 3 minutes and Metabolic panels under 13 minutes, unless results have exceptions
• Communicate critical results to providers and treatment parameters to staff
• Parse and process result exceptions per protocols (such as blastocytes, severe neutropenia, others)
• Page staff with results that impact standing orders in treatment plan
• Parse and process calls from other labs and appropriately route to staff
• Software includes Epic, QML, among others
Manage patient outreach of the clinic’s Immunosuppressant Therapy (IST)
• Facilitate IST dose updates between providers and patients, document staff-driven intake, document in chart
• Communicate dose updates verbally to patients in clinic as well as by phone to patients who have already left clinic
• Maintain daily target of 100% patient notification within 24 hours of clinic visit
• Adjust prescription Sigs and create refill encounters as required
• Cyclosporine, Tacrolimus and Sirolimus are prescribed
• Maintain performance analysis and graphing
Manage and operate POC lab
• Ensure all lab processes and procedures are compliant with established regulations and protocols
• Perform clinic-related CBCs and metabolic panels, order and release blood tests per protocol or per request by providers
• Create and maintain clear paths of communication between lab, providers, and staff; and outside vendors
• Provide education opportunities for providers and staff regarding best practices, policies and procedures
• Communicate with staff regarding lab issues, approve lab-operator staff with required hands-on competencies
• Maintain inventories, order reagents, rotors and other supplies
• Record and archive all lab QC and maintenance documentation
• Communicate with campus POCT office and update as necessary and required serve as clinic lab liaison to wider institution
• Troubleshoot all areas as required
Design and develop lab work flows and workspaces
• Design and implement process improvements and streamline procedures to maximize quick turnaround of verified test results going into the chart
• Design and implement processes that support lab compliance and maximize ease of lab functions in the clinic work flow
• Design, adjust and maintain lab work space to maximize efficient integration in clinic patient flow
• Adjust work flows to accommodate 30% annual volume increase
• Design, create and maintain “how-to” documentation to assist staff in lab operations
Manage InfuSystem ambulatory infusion pumps
• Maintain inventory
• Ready pumps for patients
• Troubleshoot as necessary
• Maintain records
• Lab orders, ensure proper labeling
• Notify research coordinators, pull spot sample if required
• Order lab transport
Resolve problems and issues
• All outside lab-related organizations calling our clinic
• Data/result problems, sample issues
Previous Work Experience
Kaiser Permanente – Clackamas, Oregon CMA 1/13 – 4/13
• Improved provider patient flow in family practice by 60%. Customer service in Lab, Radiology, Pediatrics and Internal Medicine. Advanced EHR (Epic HealthConnect). Praised on customer surveys. Strong clinical skills, teamwork.
Medical Staffing Agencies – Portland, Oregon area Contract CMA 9/12 – 1/13
Patient care including clinical, administrative, and general duties within the scope of the MA practice.
• Quality patient care across multiple locations and clinics, embrace and promote company values.
• Maximum adaptability, quick adoption of clinic processes, easily fitting in with organization’s culture.
Outside In Clinic and Health Services – Portland, Oregon CMA 9/11 – 9/12
Provided exceptional patient care and assisted providers in a patient-centered primary care home of a Federally Qualified Health Center medical clinic, running up to 5 rooms at a time with multiple providers.
• Passionate member of interdisciplinary care team, caring for clients across diverse demographics.
• Full scope of MA practice, phlebotomy, collecting and running labs.
• Process improvement by reducing clinic supply inventory by 100%, LEAN process, optimized front desk processes for streamlined patient flow.
• Drove, operated and procured supplies for mobile medical clinic (a medically-fitted RV) reaching out to outlying clients in the Portland metro area.
• Maximized admin processes, care coordinator, phone calls and triage, prescriptions
VA Community-Based Outpatient Clinic – Hillsboro, Oregon MA Extern 3/11 – 5/11
240 hour externship position at the VA’s regional Primary care clinic, worked closely with staff, and on my own for the final 2 weeks under the clinic manager’s supervision.
Portland VA Medical Center – Portland, Oregon Volunteer 9/10 – 9/11
Volunteered for the VA weekly on the General Medicine floors.
Web IT Consulting – Oregon, Texas Front-end solutions design/dev 4/96 – 9/10
Front-end web design and development, product development, process improvement, project management, training and education, quality assurance/control and other responsibilities for multiple employers in contract relationships.
John Peter Smith Hospital – Fort Worth, Texas Surgical Equipment Coordinator 3/91 – 4/96
Facilitated patient flow within and between surgical cases, pre-op care of surgical patients, liaison between surgery/anesthesia and biomed departments.